background

Friday, October 12, 2012

We interrupt this cardmaking session for some Apple Anna Bread

I've been making Apple Anna Bread for almost 20 years.  I think I got the recipe from an old Pfaltzgraff calendar.  I used it for years, then lost the recipe card for a few years, and then found it again last year.  What I like about this quick bread is that it stays very moist because of the bananas and apples. 

Apple Anna Bread

1/2 cup plus 1 T margarine (I used butter)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
2 rip bananas, mashed
2 cups apples, finely chopped
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour a 9" loaf pan (I have found that this overflows my loaf pan a bit--last time I made it, I doubled the recipe and put it in THREE disposable aluminum loaf pans and it came out about right).  Cream margarine/butter and sugar until fluffy; add eggs.  Sift dry ingredients together and beat into creamed mixture.  Stir in bananas, apples and vanilla.  Pour into pan and bake 1 hour.  It's done when the center starts to firm up--it may take a bit longer or a bit less, depending on your pan.  I do find that the top gets fairly brown before the middle gets done.

I'm sure you could also add some chopped walnuts or pecans to this bread.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment