background

Monday, June 11, 2012

Give Me Something Deep Fried and Covered in Chocolate!


Okay, maybe not deep fried AND covered in chocolate, but deep fried.   We have a bumper crop of zucchini this year, and one of our favorite (though naughty) ways of eating it is breaded and fried.  I got a recipe from Southern Living last year that I've used again and again for breading.  We've tried it on okra, zucchini and onion rings, and it works great for all of them.  This is not something you want to eat often, but it's a fun occasional treat!

BUTTERMILK FRIED OKRA/ZUCCHINI/ONION RINGS

1 1/2 c. self-rising white cornmeal MIX (I think I'm currently using Aunt Jemima)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper (you can adjust this to taste)
Oil for frying
Buttermilk

Soak sliced okra, zucchini slices or onion rings in buttermilk.  Stir together cornmeal mix, salt, sugar and red pepper.  Dredge the buttermilk-soaked veggies in the coating and fry in oil heated to about 375 degrees (sometimes I use my Fry Daddy and sometimes I put an inch or two in a really big skillet).   Fry until golden brown.  Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. 

We serve our zucchini with ranch dressing for dipping.

I often have to double this recipe if I'm making a big batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment