background

Friday, October 12, 2012

Moving on to Autumn Cards

I got this technique idea from Papercrafts magazine (a good magazine for card makers).  I don't think it shows up that well in my photo, but let me explain how I did it.  First of all, I stamped the three leaves on a separate piece of scrap cardstock and cut them out.  I put some Bonding Memories glue on the back of the leaves and let it air-dry so that it would be repositionable.  I positioned the leaves down on my background piece of Colonial White cardstock.  Then, I used our Close to My Heart spray pens, shown in the photo below (Z1380--three pens for only $3.95) to create the speckled look on the background.  I filled each pen about halfway with water and then added a few drops of reinker until I got the depth of color I wanted (I would suggest Saddle, Olive or New England and Goldrush--we carry reinkers in ALL of our 40 ink colors).  Then, I sprayed each color on the background.  I peeled off the leaf "masks" and let the paper air dry.  Once it was dry, I stamped the leaves with our pigment ink in the void that was left by the masks I had used earlier.  It's a fun technique, though it takes a few steps and a little drying time.  A quick tip from me:  when you're using techniques that get your paper damp/wet, use an iron to quickly dry the paper and make it nice and flat again.
 

This card was inspired by a layout that I saw on Vicki Wizniuk's blog, www.wizardshangout.blogspot.com.  I used the Flirty paper to create the column down the middle of the card.  The leaves and "Give Thanks" were cut with the new Cricut Artiste cartridge.  Even if you're not a scrapbooker, you can get inspiration from scrapbooking ideas and use these ideas on your cards and 3D projects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment